What Is Talc/Talcum Powder
Talc is mainly Magnesium Trisilicate and it is mined from the earth. The mineral is ground up to make talcum powder and manufacturers like Johnson & Johnson add scent to the powder to create products like Johnson & Johnson’s Baby Powder and Shower To Shower. The products are generally marketed to absorb moisture and control odor.
10,000 New Cases Of Talc-Related Ovarian Cancer Every Year
Medical science has been concerned about the link between talc use and ovarian cancer since the 1970s. That link has strengthened over the years. Now, more than 20 studies have made an association between the long-term use of talc and ovarian cancer.
Some scientific studies have found that long-term talc use increases the risk of ovarian cancer by 30-60%.
The manufacturers of these products, like Johnson & Johnson, have been well aware of these studies, but have failed to warn women of the increased risk of ovarian cancer posed by talc use.
Dr. Daniel Cramer from Harvard asserts that as many as 10,000 women annually develop ovarian cancer in part due to the use of talcum powder.
Talcum Powder Litigation Timeline
- October 2013 (SD Federal Court) – the jury found that talcum powder caused ovarian cancer, but awarded no damages in favor of the plaintiff.
- February 2016 (MO State Court) – $72 million verdict for plaintiff, including $10 million in actual damages.
- May 2016 (MO State Court) – $55 million verdict for plaintiff, including $5 million in actual damages.
- September 2016 (NJ State Court) – two talcum powder cases dismissed for lack of scientific evidence to support a connection between talcum powder and ovarian cancer.
- October 2016 (MO State Court) – $70 million verdict for plaintiff, including $2 million in actual damages.
- October 2016 – Federal multidistrict litigation formed in District of New Jersey, Judge Freda Wolfson presiding.
- March 2017 (MO State Court) – defense verdict for Johnson & Johnson in a talcum powder case.
- May 2017 (MO State Court) – $110 million verdict for plaintiff, including $5.4 million in actual damages.
- August 2017 (CA State Court) – $417 million verdict for plaintiff, including $70 million in actual damages.
What Does It Cost To Find Out If I Have A Case?
Nothing. If you or a loved one used talcum powder and developed ovarian cancer, call us toll free at (877) 704-7674 for a free case evaluation. You’ll speak to a lawyer with more than 20 years of experience, not a case screener. We will take the time to discuss your case and your legal options. If your case proceeds to the investigation and litigation phase, we cover those costs. We are paid for our time and repaid for case expenses only if you make a financial recovery in the form of a settlement or verdict.
What Does Medical Science Say About Talc And Ovarian Cancer?
To learn more about talc and ovarian cancer, see the medical literature below.