Detailed Instructions on Obtaining Medical and Military Personnel Records

Start by going to the National Archives to request your military medical and personnel records:
National Archives

Many current and retired servicemembers may access their DoD medical records through the TRICARE Online Patient Portal (“TOL”) at

TOL is DoD’s online patient-focused portal providing access to online health care information and services. Users may access the website using a premium (level 2) DoD self-service logon, DoD common access card, or Defense Finance Accounting Services myPay credentials. (If a user does not have a premium DoD self-service logon, he or she may register for one at the user has logged on, he or she may click “Health Record” to access online health records.

The VA also provides Veterans online access to their medical records through MyHealtheVet at There are two ways for Veterans to access the registration page at MyHealtheVet: (1) select the green “Register Today Start Here” button, on the landing page, or (2) select the red “REGISTER” button in the member login box on the right side of the screen. A premium MyHealtheVet account (an account that has been identity proofed) is required to access certain medical information on the site. A premium account can be obtained in person at a VA facility or online.

Directions for obtaining a premium account are available here:

Once the Veteran has logged into the MyHealtheVet site, he or she can access his or her VA healthcare records using the site’s “Blue Button” feature. After logging in, the Veteran should look for the Blue Button icon on the MyHealtheVet homepage. (It is under Health Records and says “Blue Button Medical Reports.” Blue Button gives Veterans access to their Veterans Health Administration electronic medical records and the ability to download, save, and/or print the records. The following records are available to Veterans through Blue Button:

  • • VA Admissions and Discharges
  • • VA Allergies and Adverse Reactions
  • • VA Appointments
  • • VA Labs and Tests
  • • VA Immunizations
  • • VA Health Summary
  • • VA Demographics
  • • VA Electrocardiogram
  • • VA Chemistry/Hematology
  • • VA Microbiology
  • • VA Notes
  • • VA Pathology
  • • VA Cytology
  • • VA Electron Microscopy
  • • VA Prescription Refills & Prescription History
  • • VA Problem List
  • • VA Radiology
  • • VA Vitals and Readings
  • • VA Medical Images
  • • DoD Military Service Information

DoD also makes certain personnel documents available to current and/or former servicemembers through various online resources. Many current or former servicemembers may access their personnel records through MilConnect ( using a DoD logon, DoD common access card, or Defense Finance Accounting Services myPay credentials.

The user may request a copy of his or her Official Military Personnel File (“OMPF”) using the Defense Personnel Records Information Retrieval System (“DPRIS”) in MilConnect. Once logged into the DPRIS system, users should select “Correspondence/Documentation,” and then select “Defense Personnel Records Information.” From that link, the user can select a copy of his or her OMPF under the “Request Personnel File” tab.

Users may also view their Military Service History (“MSH”) (including history of military schools attended, military courses completed and military occupations held) and request a Verification of Military Experience and Training (“VMET”) document on the DoDTAP page in MilConnect.

In addition to MilConnect, there are various websites specific to particular branches of the military that host personnel records. In some cases, these websites may contain more current information than available through MilConnect.

Active duty Navy servicemembers and Marines can access their OMPF using their common access card at (or via and, respectively.

Active duty members of the Air Force can obtain personnel records, including Enlisted Performance Reports and Officer Performance Reports, through the Air Force Portal by using a common access card or username and password.

Active duty and reserve Army servicemembers can obtain personnel records from the Personnel Electronic Records Management System (“iPERMS”) using their common access card. Another option is to use the U.S. Army Human Resources Command’s My Record Portal, which is accessible to both active and retired servicemembers. From the homepage (, the user should click the “Self Service” button under “Services,” then click on the appropriate button (“My Officer Record Brief,” “My eMILPO,” etc.), and enter his or her login and password or use a common access card to view the desired personnel record.

This web site is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. Past results afford no guarantee of future results. Every case is different and must be judged on its own merits.  Attorneys David Summers and Aaron Johnson are licensed in Missouri and Kansas; however our attorneys have handled cases nationwide, including mass tort claims that are filed in federal courts.*  Always consult your doctor before making any change in medication.

* In order to represent clients in states where the attorneys are not licensed, they must be granted admission pro hac vice or associate with local counsel.